Thanks to the support of the City of Yarra, Melbourne Farmers Markets have been working towards waste free farmers markets. We have begun with ditching single use coffee cups at Collingwood Children’s Farm Farmers Market and Carlton Farmers Market. We are working to extend this program to all our markets and incorporating all forms of serving-ware including reusable juice cups, plates and cutlery.
Our launch of this Wash Against Waste program at Collingwood Children’s Farmers Market in October was extremely successful and well supported by visitors and stallholders (thanks team!). Eureka Coffee have been incredibly pro-active and supportive of the initiative and used only 1 takeaway cup, which is a reduction of hundreds of single use cups going into the system, on just that one morning. We have seen the support and momentum build throughout October and November, and are excited to continue this throughout December and 2018.
Another significant outcome from the initiative is the offer of a traineeship to a long term unemployed Atherton Gardens resident, Ashbaadin ‘Din’ Mohmed. Din arrived in Australia over three years ago and had previously been unable to find work. He will become become the coordinator of the campaign, be sure to say hello on market day as you wash your mug!
We’re really excited by this program and we hope you are too! If you love what we’re doing and wanting to get involved there are a few ways which you can assist:
- We are taking donations of durable mugs, plates, bowls, cutlery, tea towels (time to riffle through that old picnic set) and reusable bags. You can drop these donations at Carlton FM, Coburg FM, Collingwood FM, Fairfield FM, Uni Melb FM or our office in Alphington.
- Bring your own cup/ mug / plate etc on market day to lighten the load as we navigate the sustainability of the program
- Take your used plate/ cup/ bowl to the washing station and wash it yourself
- Say ‘thanks’ to Din, and stallholders participating in the program, who are joining our war on waste and are choosing to reuse
- Volunteer to assist at one of our markets (fun for adults & kids!)