There’s something about smoked fish that evokes a sense of luxury. What was once a technique used to preserve food is nowadays not such a necessity but an opportunity to add flavour and to elevate simple produce to special occasion fare. At Eildon Trout Farm you’ll find the hero is their unique cherrywood smoked trout, as well as plenty of great local fish. The word on the street is that their smoked trout dip is also something really special, and having tried it, we can confirm it is exquisite.
Eildon Trout Farm is located in the Goulburn Valley, between the towns of Eildon and Thornton. It’s a scenic two-hour drive from Melbourne where lush green mountains are carved by the Goulburn River.
The farm, which draws its water from the Goulburn River itself, specialises in producing several varieties of freshwater trout including Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and Golden Trout as well as Redfin Perch and Salmon. The farm houses a working hatchery and manages every stage of the production process from fertilizing the eggs, through to hatching, stocking their ponds and then commercial and retail sales. They also sell their fingerlings to farmers and stocking groups.
The farm welcomes avid anglers as well as fishing novices to visit their ponds and try their luck at some fresh fish angling. There are five ponds to choose from which have different challenge levels and also different sized fish. The main lake holds the larger fish and contains all of the available species on the farm. It’s a great place to take the family for a fun day out and to let your kids experience their first catch! And it’s as easy as turning up, hiring some rods and casting a line. Once you’ve caught how much you want, the team on the farm will clean and prepare your fish for you to take home – or you can enjoy it cooked fresh on one of their BBQ’s.
When you’ve had your fill of fish visit their onsite store which has a variety of local produce including wines from the region.
If you can’t make a trip to the farm, then fear not as Eildon Trout Farm are regulars at our farmers markets. They sell fresh trout fillets, trout caviar, smoked trout, fresh salmon, smoked salmon and their famous smoked trout dip. With the festive season just around the corner maybe you’ll consider adding some smoked fish to the table or a fresh one on the BBQ.
Here’s a simple recipe to try at home (courtesy of Eildon Trout Farm):
Smoked Trout with Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 x Whole Smoked Eildon Trout (flaked & bones removed) or 300g of Smoked Fillets (finely chopped)
- Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon (finely grated rind & juice)
- 500g dried angel-hair pasta
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 x handful of rocket leaves (thinly shredded)
- 1 x small bunch of parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Chilli (finely sliced) – optional
- In a small bowl, combine the juice of the lemon, olive oil, chilli & garlic.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta & return to the pot, adding the trout, rocket, parsley, the lemon juice mixture and the grated rind of the lemon.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese, cracked pepper & extra parsley.
Words by Andrea Paran, Freelance Writer and Communications volunteer.