YES! Farmers markets are an essential food service under stage 4 restrictions, and Melbourne Farmers Markets (MFM) are operating where we can.
It’s been a wild ride! On Friday 21st August, the decision to exclude farmers markets from permitted food retailers at the eleventh hour was, rightfully, overturned! Thanks to a huge effort and lobbying by MFM and other Victorian Farmers’ Markets Association accredited farmers markets reps who made this happen.
Remember, we are an essential food service (not a place to gather or socialise) and the one shopper per household rule applies. All DHHS recommended actions while shopping should be followed including respecting customer limits, wearing a mask (unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so), and not attending if you’re awaiting COVID test results.
Make sure you’re across our safety precautions below and rest assured we’re experienced in the management of these, having continually traded throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We have limits on the number of customers allowed on site at any one time, have implemented strict precautions, increased staff, and altered market layouts and flow.
We are confident that the open-air environment of our farmers markets, together with the below precautions and operational adjustments, means our markets provide some of the safest shopping options to you.
– If you’re feeling sick, stay at home.
– Practice good hand hygiene. Hand sanitiser is available at the front gate
– Come to shop, not brunch. Hot food is available for take-away only and must be consumed off-site.
– Limit your time at market. Make a list of things you need so you can shop quickly and minimise your time out of the house.
– Leave the team at home: Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services. If you are unable to leave a child or at-risk person at home unattended, then they may accompany you
– Bring your card: Markets are cash free. Even the gate donations are by tap and go!
– Go to the toilet before leaving home: Toilets will only be made available to the public in emergency situations (yes, a desperate child does count as an emergency – but we ask, where possible, to leave the kids at home).
– Do not touch the produce.
– Adhere to social distancing.
We also have a contactless pick-up available from Alphington every Sunday. For more information, join our Melbourne Farmers Marketplace group.
To stay up to date with all things Melbourne Farmers Market in this topsy turvy time, sign up to our newsletter: https://bit.ly/3kmBbMX.
Carlton Farmers’ Market is held on the 1st Saturday of the month at the Carlton North Primary School (CNPS). CNPS is located on the corner of Canning, Lee and O’Grady Streets. Entry to the market is via the O’Grady Street gates and the site is accessible via public transport (bus routes 250 & 251; trams 1,6 & 96), bikes paths of Rathdowne St or Canning St and there is also limited parking available.
Carlton Farmers’ Market has a playground and open spaces for the kids, plus outdoor seating to relax and enjoy the market fare.
Bring your own coffee mug and reusable bags to the market, and make a positive impact on our local food system and the environment!
Sociable dogs under control and on short leads are most welcome.
Please note: The nature of working with farmers means that unforeseen events do occur from time to time which may prevent producers listed from attending the market. Stallholder lists are updated every Thursday.
Melbourne Farmers Markets respectfully acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land on which Carlton FM is held, the Wurundjeri People of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders, past, present and future.
Blue Bay Cheese
Brooklands Free Range Farm
Corner Store Network (formerly With One Bean)
Faranda Family Veg
Heidi Honey Hurstbridge – Bee Rescue
Jude’s Jams and Chutneys
Mike’s Mussels & Wakame
Milawa Cheese Company
Oz Fresh Herbs
Peregrine Ridge Winery
Tamarind Tree Gourmet Sauces
The Mushroom Company
The Old Farm Happy Valley Free Range Eggs
The Orange Lady
Villa Pileggi Olive Oil