Are you passionate about sustainable food and local produce? Are you an experienced Operations Manager?
Melbourne Farmers Markets is looking for an exceptional and enthusiastic Operations Manager, a highly rewarding full-time position in this exciting not-for-profit organisation.
We currently run 175 market days events per year across 6 different sites with over 300 Victorian farmers and food businesses, so experience in event management and/or co-ordination is very desirable. An understanding and/or interest in small scale producers and the local food sector would be a strong asset for applicants of this position.
We are also joint venture partners with Sustain: The Australian Food Network, establishing the trailblazing Melbourne Food Hub at our site at Melbourne Innovation Centre in Alphington.
So, what does the job of Operations Manager entail?
- Manage the overall farmers market operations in co-ordination with market day staff
- Manage a team of committed and dynamic employees
- Liaise with farmers, stakeholders, senior management, employees, contractors and our joint venture partner
- Manage and mitigate workplace health and safety issues
- Conduct workforce training and development
- Develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures
- Improve business processes
- Assist with setting and monitoring budgets
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience as a manager in a hands-on role required (minimum 3 years)
- Proven leadership and staff management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- High level of capability in Microsoft Office products, preferably Office365, and CRM systems
- Demonstrated capacity to be highly organised, work independently and under pressure in a multi-task environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience in setting and managing budgets
- Demonstrated experience with managing workplace health and safety obligations
- Commitment to continuous improvement
PREFERABLE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Tertiary qualifications in management desired but not essential
- Prior experience in events management
- Prior experience in project management
The role is full time and for an immediate start. The role will be predominantly office based but will require some weekend work at markets. Hours may be negotiable for the right candidate.
If you think you are the right person for this job, please email your resume and a covering letter to MFM Managing Director Miranda Sharp by 5pm, Monday 3 September 2018. Short-listed applicants will be contacted for interview later in the week.
queries: 0429 146 695
In your application, please include the following:
- What do you think are the key elements to preparing for a successful farmers market event?
- Describe a situation where you saw an inefficiency in a business operation, how you dealt with it and the outcome of your action
- Outline your capacity, strengths and organisational skills in multi-tasking, stakeholder relationships and staff management
- National Police Check
- First Aid Certificate (or confirmation of willingness to obtain if successful for the position)
Melbourne Farmers Markets is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, age, national origin or disability.