Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1kg fresh mussels from Mike’s Mussels
- 1 400g jar tomatoes (try a tomato based pasta sauce from Take Me Home, Glencoe Farms, Si Mangia, Passion Pasta)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 750ml water
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 small onions, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Half a bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
Prepare the mussels by scrubbing shells and removing beards under cool running water.
Prepare the tomato broth in a deep saucepan or cast iron pot by lightly sautéing diced onion, chilli and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
Add the jar of tomatoes, stock cube, white wine and water. Simmer on a medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the mussels, close the lid of the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, when you open the pot, all mussels should be open.
Take the pot off the heat, top with fresh parsley and serve right away with crusty bread (perfect for mopping up the delicious broth).
Vanessa’s recipe features produce from Collingwood Children’s Farm Farmers’ Market including
Mussels: Mike Mussels
Garlic: Harmony Garlic
Bread: Dench Bakers
Recipe by MFM contributor Vanessa Fletcher